Principal / Project
INTERAC CO. LTD.
Male or Female, 21 Years Old and Above, Minimum of 1 Year Experience, Filipino, At Least Bachelor’s / College Degree
ASSISTANT LANGUAGE TEACHERS (ALTS) FOR INTERAC IN JAPAN
HAVE A VERY REWARDING AND POTENTIALLY LONG-TERM ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHING EXPERIENCE WITH INTERAC – JAPAN’S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE TRAINING PROVIDER
FOR MANY YEARS CHESHAM HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY RECRUITING ALTS FOR INTERAC TO TEACH IN JAPAN’S PUBLIC–SCHOOL SYSTEM
WE RECRUIT ALL YEAR ROUND, MAINLY FOR A SPRING AND FALL INTAKE AND WE ARE NOW LOOKING TO RECRUIT A RECORD NUMBER OF ALTS TO ARRIVE IN JAPAN IN SPRING 2021 FOR THE BEGINNING OF THE 2021 JAPANESE ACADEMIC SCHOOL YEAR
THE CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT, INCLUDING THE COMPENSATION PACKAGE ON OFFER, IS THE PRECISELY SAME AS THAT OFFERED TO NATIVE ENGLISH-SPEAKING LANGUAGE TEACHERS RECRUITED FROM THE WEST
A CHANGE IN APPROACH DUE TO COVID-19
DUE TO THE CURRENT COVID-19 PANDEMIC, CHESHAM’S OFFICE WILL REMAIN CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL, BUT ALL OF CHESHAM’S STAFF ARE WORKING, FULL-TIME, FROM HOME
WE HAVE SWITCHED TO AN ONLINE APPROACH FOR ALL OF OUR RECRUITMENT ACTIVITIES (ORIENTATION SEMINARS, ACCENT TESTS, ENGLISH TESTS, INTERVIEWS, VIDEO DEMONTRATIONS, ETC.)
OUR DOCUMENTATION PROCESSES HAVE ALSO BEEN AMENDED FOR SAFETY PURPOSES
DOCUMENTATION FROM CANDIDATES CAN BE SENT TO CHESHAM’S OFFICE THROUGH A DELIVERY SERVICE, OR CAN BE DROPPED OFF PERSONALLY WITH THE PENINSULA COURT LOBBY SECURITY STAFF. CHESHAM’S STAFF WILL COLLECT AND REVIEW ALL SUCH DOCUMENTATION ON A TIMELY BASIS AND RESPOND APPROPRIATELY TO CANDIDATES
WE WILL ALSO CONTINUE TO CARRY OUT THE PROCESSING OF CANDIDATES FOR DEPARTURE, IN ACCORDANCE WITH PHILIPPINE GOVERNMENT AND HOST-COUNTRY GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE CAN BE EASILY CONTACTED BY E-MAIL, OR ON ONE OF THE MOBILE NUMBERS LISTED BELOW
FOR YOUR APPLICATION TO BE ACTED UPON BY CHESHAM, YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING THREE INITIAL MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS:
YOU MUST POSSESS THE REQUIRED PRIMARY EDUCATIONAL DIPLOMA, AS CLEARLY OUTLINED LATER IN THIS ADVERTISEMENT
YOU MUST BE CURRENTLY WORKING IN AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHING POSITION (A CLASSROOM, ONLINE OR ‘ONE-ON-ONE’ SETTING), IRRESPECTIVE OF ANY PREVIOUS ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHING EXPERIENCE
YOU MUST POSSESS A PHILIPPINE NON–PROFESSIONAL DRIVER’S LICENSE, OR HIGHER
If you are not currently teaching English, but have been an English language teacher previously, you will need to acquire a new English language teaching position and as soon as you confirm that you have acquired that new English language teaching position, you will have met our English language teaching requirement.
If all of your previous teaching experience has been in special education, kindergarten, pre-school or elementary school, you will need to acquire a new English language teaching position involving general learners, including, for example, those of high school age or business learners and you will need to have been in that position for a minimum of three months in order to meet our English language teaching requirement.
A full-time or part-time position (office-based or home-based, freelance, employed or contractual), teaching English to Japanese students would be ideal, as this will give you exposure to the Japanese culture and the Japanese language, as well as exposing you to the approach of Japanese learners.
An English language tutoring position is also acceptable, but applicants must be teaching aspects of the English language, not just tutoring subjects using English as the medium of instruction, must be teaching at least 6 students per week and must be teaching for a minimum of 15 hours per week.
Please note that all ALT applicants must possess the ability to teach English to Japanese High School students, including teaching grammar at that level.
You will need to remain in an English language teaching position up to the time of your planned departure to Japan and it is important to note that teaching a subject in the medium of English is not equivalent to teaching the English language.
BEFORE YOUR EVENTUAL DEPARTURE TO JAPAN YOU MUST POSSESS THE TWO FOLLOWING MANDATORY COMPETENCIES:
THE ABILITY TO TEACH ENGLISH WITH A SUSTAINED NEUTRALIZED ACCENT
THE ABILITY TO DRIVE A CAR, UNACCOMPANIED, IN HEAVY CITY TRAFFIC AND ON HIGHWAYS
INTERAC, a Japanese company founded in 1972, is Japan’s largest private provider of professional foreign teachers to the Japanese government through its ALT program. The company is committed to providing excellence in the fields of school, business, language and cross-cultural training. With a proven ability to attract talented people from around the world, Interac constantly strives to enhance its position as Japan’s foremost language and management training organization.
Interac and its associated recruitment company, Link Japan Careers (‘LJC’) have fifteen domestic office locations and two overseas offices, serving a client base of more than 4,000 organizations.
Approximately 300 administrative staff are complemented by a rapidly-growing population of over 3,500 ALTS and corporate Language Consultants for English and other languages.
Interac’s highly motivated and qualified teachers serve thousands of schools and boards of education throughout every region of Japan.
CHESHAM RECRUITMENT INC., a long-established, reputable and sought-after recruitment agency, is very proud to be Interac/LJC’s exclusive recruitment agency in the Philippines.
We were instrumental, with our colleagues in Interac, in opening up this fantastic opportunity for Philippine English language teachers many years ago.
Over the past 10 years, we have placed a very large number of first-rate Chesham ALTS in Japan and LJC/Interac has been very pleased with the high level of professionalism and competence which they have demonstrated. To date, all Chesham ALTS who have successfully completed an initial Employment Contract and who wished to stay on, have been offered subsequent Employment Contracts.
STRICT MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS:
* Ideally you should hold a BA/BSc Diploma, or equivalent, in the education field. However, applicants holding a Diploma in Journalism, Theater Arts, Mass Communications, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, Humanities/Liberal Arts and International Relations, who also have experience teaching English, will also be considered.
Applicants holding other Diplomas cannot be considered (for example, Nursing, Engineering, Business, Media & Advertising, Marketing, Human Resources, Accounting, Finance, IT, Chemistry, Pharmacy, Hospitality, Political Science, etc.), even if such applicants also hold a post-graduate English language teaching Degree, or possess an English language teaching certification or a Philippine Professional Teacher License and have relevant English language teaching experience. This is because the Japanese immigration authorities apply restrictions in the granting of the required ‘Instructor’ visa to Philippine-based ALT candidates for the Japanese public-school system, in relation to the primary educational Diploma course which has been undertaken, through a minimum of three years of study.
* Youmust be living in the Philippines at the time of application and throughout the application process. An application from a qualified overseas-based applicant is welcomed and will be acknowledged, but this cannot be acted upon until the applicant has returned permanently to the Philippines. This is due to the long and intense nature of the evaluation and documentation processes involved.
Applicants who have previously worked in Japan must have done so legally, in strict accordance with Japanese immigration regulations and must also provide evidence that their exit from Japan strictly complied with Japanese immigration regulations.
Applicants must also declare as part of their initial application if a Japanese organization applied for a visa on their behalf which was subsequently never utilized, or if they have a currently unused visa or currently valid multiple-entry visa stamped in their passport.
* You must be a fluent English speaker, with impeccable grammar, pronunciation, enunciation, projection and diction.
Locally-accented spoken English is absolutely not acceptable, especially in a Japanese high school setting. Your English language writing skills must also be first class, especially in relation to grammar and penmanship.
* You must be able to commit to a full academic year contract, but also be flexible in relation to a shorter initial contract term and in relation to varying departure dates, during an academic year.
* You must have a good awareness and knowledge of Japan and be interested in Japanese culture and the Japanese language.
* You must like children and be willing to work as an Assistant Language Teacher, with the confidence, self-assuredness, patience, resilience, adaptability, flexibility, energy and humility that this role requires.
* You must be flexible, with regards to school type (Elementary School, Junior High School and High School) and the number of schools to be assigned.
* You must be flexible regarding the location of your teaching assignment, which may include isolated and non-urban areas, as no choice or preference will be given to any candidate regarding any assignment location, for any reason. If you or your family have any concerns about you being located in areas affected by the tragic Japanese earthquake, tsunami and nuclear tragedy of several years ago, or in areas prone to earthquake activity, this ALT opportunity is not for you.
* You must be very professional, in all aspects of manners, decorum, written and spoken communications and behavior. The tone of your e-mail and telephone communications with Chesham will be especially noted in this regard.
* You must have a very clear appreciation of the importance of punctuality. This will be especially noted in your attendance at the various events taking place in Chesham, during the recruitment process.
* You must present a very business-like appearance and demonstrate professional dress sense and impeccable grooming. This will be especially noted on your first visit to Chesham’s office.
* You must be in excellent health and be fit. A pre-employment medical examination will be required, with the priority being placed on the clear evidence of the non-existence of TB, Hepatitis B and HIV/Aids.
* You must have no visible tattoos or piercings. The simple rule is that the tattoo or piercing (other than for one pair of earrings on a female) can never be seen in public, including during sports activities. If you have a tattoo or piercing you are strongly advised to declare this to Chesham at the time of your application, so that a determination of its acceptance can be ascertained, before proceeding further.
* You must possess Japanese language ability or commit to acquiring basic Japanese language skills before departure to Japan. This is required in order to enhance your communication ability and to assist you in more easily adapting to living in Japan.
Evidence must be presented to Chesham before departure to Japan that you have successfully completed a Japanese language class-based course, an online course, or some clearly defined and measurable self-study program. This will either be in the form of a certificate of successful course completion or in the form of a signed statement summarizing what has been studied and what has been achieved.
* You must be willing to drive a car in Japan and be a competent and confident driver of a car, as a condition of your employment. There are no guaranteed non-driving positions available, even though there is a possibility that you might ultimately be assigned to a non-driving position. Youmust have possessed a Philippine non-professional driver’s license (or higher) for at least three months prior to departure to Japan and you must also have lived in the Philippines for a minimum of three months (not necessarily consecutively) after securing a driver’s license, in order to be eventually eligible to secure a Japanese driving license.
An international driving permit (IDP) will also be needed to drive in Japan, but this must only be acquired just before departure, as it is valid for only one year from the date of issue.
Before you depart for Japan you must also have acquired appropriate driving experience including driving a car in heavy city traffic and on highways, unaccompanied. Simply possessing a driver’s license is not sufficient and you will need to provide written confirmation of your driving ability to Chesham before your departure to Japan.
* You will need to provide official letters from every educational institution you have ever attended confirming that English was the medium of instruction used in each of these institutions.The institutions will include elementary school, high school and college and the total number of years attended must add up to at least twelve. All educational institutions, beginning with elementary school (not pre-school and/or kindergarten) must be included, even if the required twelve years are covered by less than all of the educational institutions.
These letters are required by the Japanese immigration authorities as a condition of the issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility (‘CoE’) – essentially the approval of your instructor visa. Chesham will provide you with the formatted letter which will be required from each of the educational institutions which you have attended and this format cannot be altered in any way. Please note that home-schooling periods, which cannot be substantiated by the above documentation, will render an ALT application void.
THE FOLLOWING WILL ALSO BE CONSIDERED POSITIVELY, BUT ARE NOT ACTUALLY REQUIRED:
* A TESOL, TEFL, RSA or CELTA certification, or similar.
* A Philippine professional teacher license.
STRICT APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
REQUIRED RESUME FORMAT:
THE MANDATORY CHESHAM ALT WORD–FORMATTED RESUME, TOGETHER WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR ITS COMPLETION, ARE AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD FROM THIS LINK:
IF YOU FULLY MEET THE MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS STATED ABOVE, PLEASE SUBMIT TO OUR E-MAIL ADDRESS YOUR COMPLETED AND FULLY COMPLIANT ALT WORD–FORMATTED RESUME, AS AN E–MAIL ATTACHMENT AND NOT THROUGH ANY INTERNET FACILITY, SUCH AS GOOGLE DRIVE, DROPBOX, ETC.:
IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU CAREFULLY READ THE VERY DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE COMPLETION OF THE ALT WORD-FORMATTED RESUME
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT ANY DOCUMENTS WITH YOUR RESUME, SUCH AS A COPY OF YOUR DIPLOMA, TRANSCRIPT OF RECORDS, ETC. WE WILL OBTAIN THESE FROM YOU LATER
INTERVIEW AND SELECTION PROCESS:
IF YOU ARE INITIALLY DEEMED SUITABLE ON THE BASIS OF YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY TEACHING ENGLISH AND POSSESS A PHILIPPINE NON-PROFESSIONAL DRIVER’S LICENCE, YOU WILL BE INVITED TO A FREE, VERY COMPREHENSIVE ALT ORIENTATION SEMINAR, NORMALLY CONDUCTED BY CHESHAM IN ITS OFFICE IN MAKATI, BUT CURRENTLY CONDUCTED ONLINE, THROUGH SKYPE
ON ANOTHER DATE YOU WILL UNDERGO AN ACCENT ASSESSMENT TEST AND A WRITTEN ENGLISH LANGUAGE COMPETENCY ASSESSMENT TEST AGAIN CURRENTLY CONDUCTED ONLINE, THROUGH SKYPE
DEPENDING ON THE OUTCOME OF THESE TWO TESTS, YOU WILL UNDERGO A COMPREHENSIVE PERSONAL INTERVIEW AND A VIDEO DEMONSTRATION OF YOUR TEACHING AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS ON ANOTHER DATE, AGAIN CURRENTLY CONDUCTED ONLINE, THROUGH SKYPE
YOUR ACCENT TEST AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE COMPETENCY ASSESSMENT TEST, YOUR PERSONAL INTERVIEW, YOUR VIDEO DEMONSTRATION AND YOUR POSITIVE PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES WILL TOGETHER FORM THE BASIS OF THE EVALUATION BY LJC/INTERAC OF YOUR SUITABILITY AS AN ALT
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED
Chesham Recruitment Inc.
Suite 219, The Peninsula Court
Makati Avenue, corner Paseo de Roxas,
Makati City 1226, Metro Manila
Office Tel: +632 7750 0640/7750 0641/7750 0642
Mobile Numbers: +63 949 617 8964; +63 906 261 7391; +63 956 567 3250